EVIDENCE BASED RECOVERY
Find real change that lasts. Your best life is waiting for you.
Licensed, trained, compassionate professionals in the heart of Huntington Beach. Orange Country Recovery connects people with solutions through evidence-based, trauma-informed treatment for substance abuse, dual diagnoses, and mood disorders.
At OCR, we believe that hope and healing are available to anyone whose life has been devastated by addiction and behavioral health issues. Here we understand that healing is a lifelong process – we empower our clients to uncover the underlying issues that have been holding them back and give them the resources to thrive beyond treatment. After all, your best life is waiting for you.
FAMILY CARE PROGRAM
Orange County Recovery encourages family involvement and nurtures a crucial support system for loved ones and clients alike.
We offer extended family services to offer support and community while growing understanding of addiction and its impact. At OCR, we create opportunities for families to learn valuable skills and engage in the treatment process. Family involvement is encouraged here—clients with healthy support systems have a higher likelihood of sustained, happy sobriety.
CBT: Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is a practical approach used to examine the influence of underlying thoughts and belief patterns. Our trained staff helps clients assess current issues by examining outmoded beliefs, ideas, and patterns in order to move forward. CBT allows clients to develop more effective coping mechanisms to positively affect their behavior.
More About Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
How Does CBT Work?
CBT is a practical technique that allows people to change their behavior by changing their conditioned thought patterns.
- CBT therapy can reduce stress, and help people cope with relationship difficulties, grief, and other life issues.
- CBT is based on the idea that our thoughts and perceptions about events affect how we behave, react, and feel. Cognitive therapy helps through repeatedly showing us where our thinking leads us astray, and offering better alternatives.
- CBT is a situation-specific, goal-oriented approach that focuses on a client’s current challenges, thoughts, and behaviors, rather than past experience.
- CBT is a collaborative modality, requiring a concerted effort between a client and counselor. CBT programs are structured and systematic, giving people regular “practice” at thinking and acting in healthy ways. Similar to a physical fitness program, this regular exposure leads to improved outcomes.
Is CBT Effective?
- Research has shown that CBT can improve certain behavioral health issues where other treatments are unsuccessful
- CBT has been useful in treating panic disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, insomnia, depression, anger issues, relational conflicts, substance abuse and addiction, borderline personality and eating disorders.
- Studies have shown that CBT is useful in many situations. According to the American Psychological Association (APA), once versed in the technique, a client can eventually learn to become their own therapist.
DBT: Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) is designed for those with difficulty managing their emotions who instead turn to self-destructive behaviors. This therapy teaches methods for regulating emotions and becoming more present in daily life. DBT can help individuals see both sides of a situation, think in less extreme ways, and validate themselves and others.
More About Dialectical behavior therapy
How Does DBT Work?
DBT can offer people new methods for managing difficult emotions and ultimately lead to decreased conflict in personal relationships. DBT emphasizes four specific focus areas:
- Mindfulness – gives practitioners the ability to be present in the moment, while paying detached attention to thoughts and feelings.
- Distress tolerance – aids clients in learning to tolerate difficult emotions, rather than seeking escape.
- Emotion regulation – includes strategies for managing and shifting intense emotions that can lead to destructive behaviors.
- Interpersonal effectiveness – techniques to communicate more effectively with others while maintaining self-respect, being clear, and strengthening relationships.
Is DBT Effective?
Although DBT was pioneered as a treatment for people with borderline personality disorder, it has been found to be effective for a wide range of conditions. Research indicates that DBT can help with issues of substance use, depression, anxiety, bipolar, PTSD, and eating disorders.
EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy) – EMDR is a unique, nontraditional form of therapy designed to diminish negative feelings associated with memories of traumatic events. Unlike most forms of talk therapy, EMDR focuses less on the traumatic event itself and more on the disturbing emotions and symptoms that result from the event.
More About EMDR
How Does EMDR Work?
EMDR therapy incorporates the use of eye movements and other forms of rhythmic bilateral stimulation. Treatment includes a hand motion technique used by the therapist to guide the client’s eye movements from side to side, like watching a pendulum swing. While clients simultaneously focus on the trauma memory and experience bilateral stimulation, the pain and distress of the memory can be reduced. This type of therapy is intended to change how traumatic memories are stored in the brain, thereby moderating or diminishing symptoms.
Is EMDR Effective?
As trauma is common among those struggling with addiction and mental health disorders, people with post-traumatic stress disorder and other trauma-related distress can benefit from EMDR as part of a comprehensive treatment program.
EMDR is sometimes perceived as a controversial intervention, because it is unclear exactly how it works, but several studies have demonstrated that EMDR is effective for treating certain mental health conditions.
Feedback Informed Treatment (FIT) – Orange County Recovery uses the FIT approach to empower our clients. Receiving ongoing formal feedback from our clients allows us to demonstrate the effectiveness of treatment by measuring our clients’ wellbeing and the effectiveness of individual sessions.
More About FIT
How Does FIT Work?
FIT involves routinely and formally soliciting feedback from clients about the process of therapy, working relationship, and their overall wellbeing. Receiving ongoing formal feedback from our clients has clear benefits. Orange County Recovery works hard at creating a culture of feedback and through feedback, we gather real-time input from clients using structured yet flexible measurements that identify what is and is not working in treatment and how to better meet our clients’ needs.
Is FIT Effective?
Feedback Informed Treatment has been shown to bolster the effectiveness of therapy, enhance clients’ wellbeing, and decrease dropout rates and absences. When a therapist knows precisely how the client is feeling, they are then able to modify and adjust treatment plans accordingly.
Trauma-Informed Care is a style of counseling that gives individuals personal safety training using empowerment activities. These exercises give clients the ability to voice feelings and thoughts and enhance positive choice-making skills.
More about trauma-informed care
How Does it Work?
The goal of this style of counseling is to build and maintain trust among staff, clients and family members. At Orange County Recovery, we believe our responsibility is to empower a person, not to overpower them. We are mindful that everyone’s experience is unique and people require an individualized approach, and that without addressing past traumas many people will struggle to move forward meaningfully. We believe in resiliency and people’s ability to heal.
Is Trauma-Informed Care Effective?
With substance abuse and behavioral health issues, a compassionate, trauma-informed approach acknowledges that many use substances or act out as a survival skill from past trauma. When considering this perspective, healthcare providers are often able to help clients more effectively address underlying drivers and access the resources they need to heal.
COURT & PROBATION APPROVED
Orange County Recovery is a JCAHO accredited addiction treatment program that is court and probation approved to work with the legal system in order to satisfy the requirements of the court for those with non-violent drug and alcohol related offenses. Court letters and court representation are provided if needed for those facing legal issues and who are enrolled in the probation approved program. Orange County Recovery prides itself in being a community solution to the problem of addiction and alcoholism that burdens society as a whole. Learn More
ISN’T IT TIME YOU FOUND A WAY OUT?
If you are tired of self-defeating behaviors and ready for a fresh start, reach out today.